Friday, February 22, 2013

New Beginnings: Be the Chocolate Chip

 A few nights ago we had our Young Women's New Beginnings program. I was nervous. This was the first big activity as Young Women's president and I wasn't sure what we were doing. I originally saw an idea on pinterest to do a Dr. Seuss Oh the Places You'll Stand theme but I just wasn't feeling it. One night I was searching on line for ideas and I came across this book called Be the Chocolate Chip. I downloaded the book to my Ipad and after reading it I knew it would be perfect for our theme.
 The book starts out by giving the history of the Chocolate Chip Cookie. Basically in the 1930's the owners of the Toll house Inn were well known for a butter drop do cookie in which baking chocolate chunks were added to the batter and as the cookie baked the chocolate melted into the cookie creating an all over chocolate cookie. One day the owner ran out of bakers chocolate but the had a Nestle Semi Sweet Chocolate bar on had so she chopped it up, fully expecting it to melt the same way the bakers chocolate did. However the chocolate did not melt. It held its form when the heat was on and that was the beginning of the delicious chocolate chip cookie. I liked the analogy of the chocolate chips not moving when the heat was on and I liked how it tied in with the years theme of Stand Ye in Holy Places and Be Not Moved. I really wanted to get a copy of the book for each girl but it was super expensive to order from Deseret Book. Then I stumbled across Jen Brewers website and was able to order the books for $6 each and shipping was only $4. After I placed the order I got an email saying the book was on sale for bulk orders and would be just $3 a book!! It was an answer to prayers!!!
 To welcome the new girls who would be coming to Young Women's I had a picture of them and a little get to know you sheet.
 For refreshments I asked everyone to bring a treat that had chocolate chips in it, we had a delicious variety! But I have to say my favorite was a chocolate chip cookie dough dip that I found on pinterest.
In a saucepan melt together 1 stick of butter and 1/3 cup brown sugar, bring to a boil and remove from heat. Add 1tsp vanilla. In a mixer cream together 1 block of cream cheese and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Add in the brown sugar butter mixture and beat together until smooth. Make sure mixture is cool and stir in 3/4 cup chocolate chips. I used both mini chips and regular. This dip is ahhhmaaaziiiing! It is delicious on fruit, especially bananas, apple and strawberries, or on pretzels or nilla wafers, or on a spoon or on anything really. Try it! You won't be sorry!
 We also had Chocolate mustaches, they were a big hit!
These are the lovely girls I get to work with in Young Women's they are awesome!

7 comments:

Mariley Johnson said...

You are perfect for the job Lindsey!!!

Heidi said...

Jen brewer is in my stake, I am totally going to tell her about this, she'll be thrilled

Kacey said...

Awesome job Lindsey!!

Scooter and Jessica said...

This is so darling! What a unique and fun theme and creative ways to incorporate it!

Maurine said...

You are the YW president? That is awesome. Those girls in your ward sure are lucky to have you. Such a cute creative theme.

Stephanie said...

Love, love, love! Will have to try the cookie dough dip!

Amy and Clark said...

Congrats on a job well done! Glad it was a success. It looks daring and yummy. Lucky young women!