Thursday, May 16, 2013

While we're at it...

There seems to be a bit of a trend every time we take on a house project. We find ourselves saying while we're at it, we might as well... It makes sense, we don't often have time for projects and there is always a never ending list of things we'd like to do. For years I have dreamed of getting nice, soft, thick carpet. We finally went for it. We decided on a carpet and placed our order at Lowes. Then came the while we're at its... Since the carpet was coming out it seemed like a great time to upgrade the base boards, throughout the entire house! And since we were replacing the baseboards it made sense to redo all the door frames. Thankfully after two door frames we decided to stop that project. We ordered the carpet March 15 and the guy scheduled us for install March 26. That gave us about 10 days to clear out the house, and while I was at it I did some spring cleaning and organizing. The carpet was to be installed on a Wednesday so the weekend before I began moving the kids beds, dressers, shelves and other furniture into the garage. On Saturday I called to double check that we were on for the install so that I didn't pull the carpet out too early. I was glad I called because the carpet was on back order and nobody told us! It would be another week before we had carpet. My very upset husband was able to get them to give us a discount to make up for the miscommunication. I hindsight it worked out well, we needed the extra time to get the baseboards in and all the paint touched up. The real bummer was that Kevin had the week off the end of March, with carpet not coming until April I was going to have to do the tear out and clean up without him. A week after the original install date they called to tell us the carpet had arrived! Hooray, I thought they would install the next day, but the soonest they could come was a week later, Boo! So since I had a week I decided to repaint all the bedrooms. It made sense, the carpet was a mess and already torn out in the kids rooms, I wouldn't have to worry about spilling or drop cloths. So I painted our room a dark brown. I love it! Cooper's room got a nice blue color. I wasn't sure what to do in Maggie's room, I wanted to do something a little fun and different. I decided on a light and bright blue. Kev was not a fan at first. Then I told him I wanted to do chevron stripes on one wall. He looked at me like I was completely crazy. But I did it. I stayed up way too late drawing a grid on the wall with a 13 inch ruler and a pencil. Then I taped from corner to corner. It took a while, painting took even longer but after about 7 hours of work I was done and in love. The carpet was installed a few day later and it is heavenly!
 I let the kids help me paint, for reals.
 The brown in our room.
 Prepping for the chevron stripes.
 Ta da! In case you are wondering about the floors I had the sister missionaries help me tear out some of the carpet and afterwards I let them spray paint a message.
 After the tear out and clean up. My amazing friend Becky came over and in less than two hours we moved all the big furniture out and tore out the carpet in the main rooms.
Our new soft lush carpet.... so clean so nice!

1 comments:

Mariley Johnson said...

It looks great! New carpet is the best!! You are project wonder woman.