Sunday, July 7, 2013

Two Seconds

Sometimes the seconds, minutes and hours throughout the day pass too quickly. But there are moments, good and bad, in which 2 seconds seem to last much longer and those are moments you never forget.  We started our 4th of July enjoying friends and food at a ward breakfast. We left early to get a good spot for the Leon Valley Parade. The parade was fun, the kids got too much candy and too much sun, and its a fun little tradition. We had parked in a neighborhood near the park along with some friends. Cooper rode with our friends in a bike trailer back to the car and Kevin and I took Maggie in the stroller and were not too far behind them. As we were approaching the cars I looked across the street and saw Cooper standing on the sidewalk next to our friends car as they were loading up their kids and bikes. I looked ahead and saw a car driving pretty fast especially considering the conditions, there were cars lining both sides of the street and families walking all over, It was not a safe place to be driving so fast. I complained to Kevin about how fast that guy was driving and then I looked over at Cooper. We were now directly across the street and Cooper had spotted us. He held onto his fire hat as he jumped off the curb and began running into the street to get us. It all happened so fast, but in my head it was the worst slow motion scenario. I saw Cooper happy and excitedly running towards us, then I saw the speeding car just a car lengths away. It is the worst feeling seeing what is about to happen and feeling so helpless, there was no way I could run to him in time! I yelled STOP COOPER! NOO! And then I just felt my self scream. In the moment it felt like a helpless, it's too late scream. But just as fast as I saw it happening, I saw it ending. As I screamed Cooper halted to a scared and crying stop and the car slowed a little as it went by. I ran to Cooper and just held him. He cried and cried because I had scared him when I screamed at him. I cried because I had never felt so scared in my life. I am so grateful that nothing happened to him, so much can change in just a few seconds and I feel so blessed that everything turned out okay.

1 comments:

Mariley Johnson said...

My heart is racing just reading about it. I'm am so happy to hear that it turned out well.